Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Why I am not an atheist



Curiosity, goddamn it, made me ask an atheist friend what does he say during orgasm. After giving me a  "would you like to find out by yourself?" wicked smile, he eventually confessed he used to say "Zeus, damn it, Zeus". But now, he just mumbles "Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster!" and although it takes a bit longer to say, it also stretches his orgasms out longer. That is something psychologists should consider in their studies. Some fellow atheists, however, go to extremes and prefer to take their anti-religious view in bed by screaming “Oh, my science, oh, my science!”, which obviously is a major turn off. Or maybe not?

Let alone that I consider pretty rude not to be told anything when I sneeze (god bless), I realized once more why I can’t join the atheist club. Not necessarily because I need to thank anyone during orgasm. Most of the times, we hardly articulate anything coherently although "spank me!" sounds pretty articulate to me.

Sorry if I tricked you into reading this by starting out with what it seems to be a sex chat, but I will be honest with you. It is agnosticism that I want to “preach”, not a sexual lexicon.

Dawkinites reproached to religious people that they brain wash their children by serving them a limited and naive theory about creationism. That it is not fair for children to be labeled conservatory, liberal, monetary expert, Christian or Muslim. That children should not inherit their parents’ political and religious views.

With all due respect to Monsieur Dawkins, culturally, it makes no sense. Religious parents will raise religious children, and atheist parents will raise atheist children. Otherwise, we will have double standards. It is only agnostic parents that give their children a chance to discover the world for themselves and make a fully informed choice when they grow up.

Now, let alone the aborigines on some remote island that have no idea about god, Christ, Flying Spaghetti Monster or Tea Pot, who have an innate atheism, the latter is culturally learned analogous religion. Similarly, religion or its lack off is passed onto our children as a rite of passage. Like Christians, atheists are not born. They are made. When we give up our mental capacity to reflect on our own thoughts, and origins, about cosmos, creation and evolution, we will disappear as species.

Well, here is why I am not an atheist, as:
If religion is not innate and is culturally determined, isn't atheism culturally determined as well?
If it comes down to faith, then atheism became a faith of not believing in god. And I want to be faith free.
If atheism is confronting and challenging to all religions, then I am for it.
If atheism converts into a partisan militant doctrine out to hunt down Christians exclusively, then I am against it.
If we should call ourselves skeptics, then we should be true to ourselves and be skeptics all the way and doubt not only religion, but science as well.

Sheltering doubts is what keeps us sane and not exchanging one religion (Christianity) with another (scientific atheism).

True, the evolution theory is a bit depressing, as it rips of the fake consolation, the delusion and the hope that religion feeds. This could be the reason that many people, some of them highly intelligent, find it hard to renounce it and refuse to embrace what it seems to be a breakthrough in mankind’s progress and process of understanding our origins. It is only human to want to be gently lied to sometimes.

Although rationally tormenting and tiring, I believe that agnosticism as a neutral, middle path is the passageway to enlightenment.
I believe that an agnostic manages to keep his moral integrity by not choosing sides.
I believe an agnostic is not necessarily a spiritual coward or an uneducated atheist, but rather a referee.
I believe that if science is (or should be) neutral, so should be people.
I believe that agnosticism is a sign of a healthy mind and atheism or religious fundamentalism is not.
I believe that an agnostic can live his life more freely, with respect for others views, preferring a stance of science and pure reason to mysticism, pseudo science, superstitions and spirituality.

If god is a "principle" of stability while everything is prone to transformation, I could believe in that god.
If god is our better selves, I could believe in that god.
If god is science, I could believe in that god.
If god is proof beyond reasonable doubt, I believe in that god.
I don't believe in a supreme BEING. But I do believe that human beings are sometimes supreme.

Do I believe in intelligent design? No.
Do I believe there is a god that created me from dust, or Adam's rib? No.
Do I believe in Thor or Zeus or Allah? No.
Do I believe that Jesus was the son of god? No.
Do I believe that a virgin woman was impregnated by a super natural power? No.

Scientists proposed the Big Bang theory, when the universe was so hot that it was filled with this proton-neutron-electron “soup”. Ironically enough, it was a Roman Catholic priest who came with the Big bang theory in 1931. His name was Georges Lemaitre.

Religious creationists claim that "it cannot be just nothing", that it must have been a creator.

Are you ready to dismiss the "nothingness/vacuum" theory? That something must have existed before it? That the world cannot just come out of "nothing"? Well, here are a few examples of scientific uses of "nothingness/vacuum": incandescent light bulb; electron beam welding, cold welding, vacuum packing, vacuum frying; fabrication of semiconductors and optical coatings, thermal insulation of thermos bottles; freeze drying, adhesive preparation, distillation, metallurgy, and process purging; electron microscopes and vacuum tubes including cathode ray tubes; flywheel energy storage and ultracentrifuges; vacuum servo, used to provide power assistance for the brakes. There, after all nothingness can produce something.

Some say when it comes down to faith, the answer can only be "I do", or "I don't". Yet, there are times when the perfect answer is "I don't know." And now, it is one of those times.

And this is why I am an agnostic.

No comments: